Events I will be attending
No upcoming events
Hide and Go Seek
tag!24 hour zine challenge. 24 hour zine thing 30 day photo meme abuse alex wrekk anchor archive Art Bell beer bikes birthday blackberries books brainscan brainscan 25 Brainscan zine buttons canzine cat cats chicago zine fest coffee cooking copy scams custom buttons etsy fanzines flowers Food garden halifax hops international zine month IPRC izm joe biel meme microcosm Microcosm publishing music nobody cares about your stupid zine podcast paul photo photos plants podcast portland Portland Button Works portland zine symposium portland zine symposium 2010 pzs records riverhouse seeds sick small world buttons ssr stolen sharpie revolution toronto toronto zine library train travel utah vegan vegan food wine work yard zine zine events zine librarian unconference zines zine shirts zines on toast zine symposium zine tour
Alex's life revolves around making things; primarily zines, custom pinback buttons(badges), vegan food, travel plans, and space for a cat in her bed.
Alex Wrekk has lived in Portland, Oregon since 1999 and has been creating the zine Brainscan since 1997. Brainscan zine has grown and changed with Alex over the years with stories ranging from travel, reproductive health, love and loss, emotional abuse recovery, zine culture, and even fiction all wrapped up in text and photocopier art. She also wrote the book Stolen Sharpie Revolution: A DIY guide for zines and zine culture that is now entering its 5th edition.
When Alex isn't doing zine things she is doing other zine things like organizing the Portland Zine Symposium, establishing July as International Zine Month, commiserating with Zine Event Organizers around the world, updating the zine event listings on StolenSharpieRevolution.org, hosting the podcast Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast, fidgeting with her Risograph printer, reading from her zines out loud on zine tours or singing in a zine themed pop-punk band called The Copy Scams.
Alex has been making custom pinback buttons since 2000 under various business names. In 2012 Alex opened Portland Button Works and zine distro, an online and brick and mortar shop in Portland, Oregon selling zines and books and making custom buttons, bottle openers, and magnets in 4 different sizes. She also maintains an Etsy shop with the same name.
Alex desparately wishes someone would fix her horrendously outdated wikipedia page.
- Have you lit a candle at the HallowZINE shrine for that zine you quit doing? nshrine.com/shrine/HallowZ… #zines #izm2014 5 hours ago
- It's sad to be working on the Stolen Sharpie Revolution reprint and having to leave out info about Zine World. #ssr2014 6 hours ago
- Woke up too early and decided to make bagels and eat them with Strawberry/blackberry "yard jam" om nom! instagram.com/p/rHxSDttJEh/ 9 hours ago
- I woke up too early (4am) on my day off. So, I'm making bagels. 10 hours ago
- @CascadeMediaCon possibly? 10 hours ago
- Nobody Cares Abour Your Stupid Zine Podcast #7 Up For Trades
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #6
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #5
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #4
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #3
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #2
- Nobody Cares About Your Stupid Zine Podcast #1